split brakes?...

Get help with your Bus (Transporter, Single & Double cab, Split or Bay) here.
ZENAK

split brakes?...

Postby ZENAK » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 pm

what kind of brake set up do yall have on your split busses?...i heard Smitty has 4 disks ( a little out of my $ range )...id like to update my master cylinder to a dual cylinder but i am not shur how hard this will be or how much it will cost.... is there any way to fit bay disks on a 65 bus? with out cutting the front end up?...

Thanks for the help...

iltis74

Postby iltis74 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:10 pm

At this point I am leaning towards using four-wheel disc setup from airkewld.com, though I'm not 100% set on it. CSP also has a kit, as does Franklins, though I suppose these may be more than you want.

Wolfgang International and I think CSP both sell master cylinder kits, and Wolfgang I know sells a kit to use bay discs. The Bus Barn forum at shoptalkforums.com used to have a bunch of info on running bays, but I never paid much attention to it. Thesamba.com I'm sure has something too. Questions needing answered would include can you retain the 5x205 bolt pattern, can you use a 14" wheel if that is what you have, and are you widening the track? For all I know you may be able to use the entire bay beam.

For what it's worth the Airkewld kit with wide five is just about a grand plus shipping. Uses a four-piston wilwood.

ZENAK

Postby ZENAK » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:27 pm

thanks for the help.....i saw a front setup for $560 or so with wilwood, i think ill try that down the road. a bay beam is a lot of work from what i hear, and it lifts the front a little... i think im going to change to the newer master cylinder for now--with the kit.... still wondering what everyone else is using

Sitka Steve

Re: split brakes?...

Postby Sitka Steve » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:21 pm

May be a bit too late, but Wolfsburgwest.com has a disk brake conversion kit for splitties...it prices at about $1300...a bit pricey, but it may be worth it.... the site is below....part number 211698501
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211698501

HotAir

Postby HotAir » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 pm

that post is from 2007. he may not respond
ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE BUT HOW YOU DRIVE IT

in search of the ultimate aircooled

mike

Postby mike » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 pm

I don't have any problem with drum's on my 69 or my 70 thay work fine. You just have to keep them ajusted. and as for disk's without power thay take more peddle presure to apply.

Return to “Type II”