Serp. Belt conversion

Get help with your Bus (Transporter, Single & Double cab, Split or Bay) here.
MagicEddie

Serp. Belt conversion

Postby MagicEddie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:43 pm

What do you guys know about the sepatine belt conversion...?have you heard anything + or - about the conversion? I know I know, its not stock but it will stay better, and not slip as much...InMyOpinion

Let me know I am concidering doing it.

Magiceddie88 :wink:

iltis74

Postby iltis74 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:31 am

The only concern I have read about them is that they do not slip at all, period. At high RPMs the stock system will start to slip and the fan speed essentialy hit a max, while the serpantine will speed the fan beyond this point, leading to a rash of grenaded fans. Because of this they are gaining a bad rap in the high performance circles, by which I mean drag race cars turning high RPMs. If you are going into a street car you will likely never have a problem at all with one, but consider upgrading to a welded fan anyways. Can't hurt. If your application fits the bill I'd throw one on.

MagicEddie

Re: Serp. Belt conversion

Postby MagicEddie » Sun May 20, 2012 12:35 am

Well did it (3 years ago now?), and have been happy with it since install, it works no adjusting and no worn out shims ...it just plain works, like a Volkswagen should!
"...Aircooled by summer, froze by winter..."
1969 Vw Westy
1957 Ragtop Beetle (complete restoration)
President AACVW's up to 2015, "Magic Eddie"
907.952.1147 call, or text.

mike

Postby mike » Sun May 20, 2012 11:52 am

The problem with serp belts systems is it puts undo stress on the bearings with all the belt tension they prematurely ware out bearings that are not designed for it like the old vws not so bad I guess if the alt bears go but think what it will take to fix the crank bearing I will stay with the old setup. yes it may have worked now for three years but how many miles do you have on it thats what counts.

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Ah, I see what you're saying Mike, fortunately the BMD serp belt conversion is adjustable so you can have it as tight, or as loose as you please. There is no spring tension as I had initially was hoping for. You just set the adjustment pully and lock it in.
"...Aircooled by summer, froze by winter..."
1969 Vw Westy
1957 Ragtop Beetle (complete restoration)
President AACVW's up to 2015, "Magic Eddie"
907.952.1147 call, or text.

mike

Postby mike » Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 pm

That is different from the regular car and trucks they are a spring loaded tensioner and I used to have to replace gm alts by the truck load till they beefed up the bearing to take it. so you still have to adjust it like stock.

Return to “Type II”