The '69 Westy getting closer, sort of.

Share your VW project and status of your ride. Your own "journal" of progress, updates, etc.
Vdubleew

Re: The '69 Westy getting closer, sort of.

Postby Vdubleew » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:54 pm

was the rust thru? all you need to do is cut it back to clean metal if its thru and weld in new sheet.
engine blocks
AS41 043.101.102A 14M MEXICO
AS41 111.102B 34 211.101.101D AE218914

Bugs and Gas

Postby Bugs and Gas » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm

My pleasure to help. Sound like you need to just sell the bus and get a beetle! Ha Ha Ha :D

Anytime I can help I will.

Jon
AACVW member

BUGS AND GAS
1970 STD Beetle
1969 STD Beetle
1968 STD Beetle

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Well, aside from getting my Bus ready for winter, getting liquids out so they dont freeze and blow up etc.

I have made some forward progress, and with a huge chunk of help from my friends, and family!

I bought two poptop latches to replace ones I had that recentally snapped off from the wind gust lifting the top of my camper from a double tractor trailor going by me on the AK hwy. Bought them from Wolfsburg West, quality product. Here's a shot of them installed.

Also thanks goes to Mark, he hooked me up with some of the last pieces I needed to complete my Bus, and make it better including the VERY hard to find -trust us, we know...their were three made, the early 68-69.5 long one, the mid 69.5-70.5, then the last that was used from 1970.5-1979 

We looked and found the wrong one once, found the mid year one but yet I had the earlier one it was found by him while he was in Germany at BusFest! Thank goodness for Busfest and Mark and the fam! He had such a great time, even I got a great vibe hearing about it from him! 

He really made it huge for me and got me good, good things do come in small packages, but even better things come in big packages! And Mark totally went the extra mile! Can't wait to go camping man!

Any one else want to plan a vw bus camp trip in the coming year?!
"...Aircooled by summer, froze by winter..."
1969 Vw Westy
1957 Ragtop Beetle (complete restoration)
President AACVW's up to 2015, "Magic Eddie"
907.952.1147 call, or text.

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 pm

This last winter I found I needed to make something to block snow from getting in my fresh air intake. I took an idea and ran with it, and I made it work..hope to get pictures soon and it worked great kept snow out of the engine compartment, and kept my engine run a bit warmer while driving.(I'll post pictures soon)

Okay, well this spring I'm starting out with a bounce! I'm really wanting to tackle this and get it done. I have to say I am really wanting to restore my Bus, just fully do it and have it done. I really, really, want to get this Bus back to better than good. I guess less maintaining and more onto a restoration.

I started off the season replacing my (+) battery cable. I found my older one was heavily corroded, I had noticed the case had split at the end of last season. (Really the main reason for a replacement this spring) I came to find out that only one of the copper wires was keeping my Bus running from the original! Whoa, wowa, wow. Thanks so much to Polor Wire Supply and Brian for his genuine interest and help! The product is qaulity, top notch. I had it made red, as the original was just black. So out with the old and in with the new! It really is great. Lights are brighter now too!

I did this swap of my power cable during the foot of snow fall we got this last month what a great day to shovel errr I mean work on my Bus!

It really made me truely live the statement of the drawing I did some time back! :) "Air-cooled by summer...Froze by winter"Image

My rear deck lid was giving me a hard time opening and closing around this time-come to find out the little plastic seal had broke Image

...giving the engine deck lid latch play and the latch not wanting to open without a fight. So I replaced this seal. Re-adjusted the locking bit even took it apart and cleaned it up, also looked into fixing the locking bit as it stopped working early on in my ownership of the Bus.

I am working on getting my drivers door lock fixed since I've owned it the lock tumbiler broke, and pulled out with the key. so I've always had to unlock the passengers side and crawl in to the drivers side. Mark and me did a road trip last year up north and we found another model the same year and grabbed the door handle, thankfully that tumbiler works in place of mine. I dont have to rekey which is awesome, thanks to Mark for letting me know about this, and through the grape vine Mike out at the Abbey, who helped fix Marks bus just a while back. I'm having Action Lock Smithon Dimond and King Street reassemble the new tumbler & retumbled to my key from the original. Can't wait to get that back in!

*On a side note for anyone who might be wondering the original key code on the engine deck lid isn't the code for the doors and ignition...come to find out the locking engine latch was a dealer option. If you wanted it -they gave it to you with either another key, or re-tumbled it to your locks, mine was retumbled to match all my locks, still need to look further into making this one function with my key. I think one tumblier is holding me up.

I have been looking into sound detend my door. With this as well I may replace my door panels with new ones, prob. need to look into new seat uphostery also. This is what I've found when it comes to sound det, if done right, it will keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and quieter which will be nice through out the year.
Here are a couple resources:
http://www.type2.com/library/heat/intrir1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7eIF4cgFx4

I also am working on getting the original '67.5-'69 bay window splash pan installed. Thanks goes completely to Mark for this we searched far and wide and found all three VW made for the early baywindow bus, this one came all the way from the EUROPE! :) Pretty Sweet, and completing my bus.

I also have a new pop-top tent, ready to go in once I get my current top off and cared for. I stopped by Fiberlay and talked with Dwayne, he's an experianced fibreglass guy who now supplies materials resins and coatings for glass/carbon fiber. He's located off of International behind Sherwin Williams.

He gave me some great insight on my top said that it's in great shape and with minor work could be renewed for another 50 years and I look forward to this. I look forward to doing business with him soon!

*UPDATE* The Rubber hold downs put on last year are working great the top stays down even in the windiest of conditions.
I guess I'll finish on this high note, been driving my bus daily, and this is what it dragged in...a 1955 Chevorlet-two great old cars! ...Was a shock to see next to mine after work!
1969 Vw Westy

mike

Postby mike » Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Whats wrong with your top now ED? One thing you need to add to the 69 top is the front lock from a 70 to 72 westy it fix's the lifting that happens on the 68/69s.

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Hey Mike, nothing is wrong -the top is just worn after 40 years, the fibers are showing and it is needing to be re-glassed in a couple spots, primed and painted, put in the new tent and it will be good for the next forty years, I figure. I do recall chatting with you on that catch/ latch, I do need to look into that when I do the top, thanks for the reminder! Admittedly I almost forgot about the catch.

Also update*
I got the engine lid keyed and it is now lock-able! If I feel the need, I now can lock me engine up. Its a good kinda feelin'! I have got new keys cut to my door code, they work great, still need to install the drivers side handle but it's re tumbled and ready to rock, lock, and roll!

I will be ordering new door panels here shortly.

And need to look into zee body.

Until next time,
Eddie
1969 Vw Westy

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Figuring out all of the bugs...in my bus.

My drivers side washer marble came out the other day leaving a gusher on my drivers side... Anybody have a old VW bus for parts? :? How it should look,
...And how it looks,

Also would anyone happen to know about different years and how their tumblers were cut? Me and mark picked this one (with the key in it from a early 70's Bus mine broke into two long before I got the Bus and we figured I could fix it saying it was close enough, well being my handle doesn't set right with this current tumbler (see picture)Image

They are cut completely different. Mine, the dirtier of the two, has the grove cut completely around it, where as the early 70's one only has it half cut into. Anyone know why? Can I file the replacement out around it?
1969 Vw Westy

Vdubleew

Postby Vdubleew » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:28 pm

good to see ya getting something done on that bus!
engine blocks
AS41 043.101.102A 14M MEXICO
AS41 111.102B 34 211.101.101D AE218914

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Tue May 20, 2014 9:13 pm

It has been a while since I have played "catch up" on here so last year, I did get new door panels from TMI interiors, they were good only noticable difference was the pressed lines on the vinal part of the door panel itself. I will say save your oem door panel clips if you ever plan to do this task. The after market ones will work, but are junk half of them broke, they are more shinny look at me, than functional. AKA they are junk. And the 'rubbers' come no where close tothe original, and literally do not work with anything. Save the moey there.

I stripped the door down, took off the door panel, removed the original weather barrior, alot of glue had the be cleaned up off of the paint/door metal! But it went over all rather smooth! I cleaned out the gunk that had got inside between the weather strip and door glass over the last 45years or so of use that this rigs lived.

After cleaning it up, i noticed some surface rust, so I went to town on that used a metal etcher, and P.aint O.ver R.ust 15. Oh boy it sealed up and cleaned up the insides of my doors perfectly.
It has been a while since I have played "catch up" on here so last year, I did get new door panels from TMI interiors, they were good only noticable difference was the pressed lines on the vinal part of the door panel itself. I will say save your oem door panel clips if you ever plan to do this task. The after market ones will work, but are junk half of them broke, they are more shinny look at me, than functional. AKA they are junk. And the 'rubbers' come no where close tothe original, and literally do not work with anything. Save the moey there.

I stripped the door down, took off the door panel, removed the original weather barrior, alot of glue had the be cleaned up off of the paint/door metal! But it went over all rather smooth! I cleaned out the gunk that had got inside between the weather strip and door glass over the last 45years or so of use that this rigs lived.

After cleaning it up, I noticed some surface rust, so I went to town (paint supply shop) on that rusty surface, I used a metal etcher, and P.aint O.ver R.ust 15. Oh boy it sealed up and cleaned up the insides of my doors perfectly. And will now protect the insides for another 45 years of what ever life has inline for it.

. . . More to come.
1969 Vw Westy

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 pm

. . . I'm back for more.

Notice in this picture I cut a new foam buffer pad, (around the door latch) and put in a leather, vibration dampner where the door lock slides to the outside handle. I also cut new plastic from the template of my old worn, ripped and well used plastic weather barrior. I used a larger heavier clear mil garbage bag. The nice thing about a garbage bag one cut gets you two patterns, for both doors!

1969 Vw Westy

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Update on my Westy, a lot has happened new and old, but still keeping it on the road and loving it every mile!

So my rear bumper was...beat, from when the Previous owner either got rear ended or smacked pretty good into something one bracket had a pretty good bend to it, along with the over riders being pretty tweaked and one of the nuts (on the frame was popped off and had been rattling inside the channel on my bus. I drilled the nut out along with plenty of dirt.

My buddy offered to lend his welding skills to my bus!

He did an awesome job considering the nut he welded was galvanized.

Look at that weld so smooth!

Since I had my bumper off...I figured why not go all the way and tear it all the way down as it was worn...and getting rusty dented and all out of shape!

With a little reverse engineering beating out major dents, dings, creases using hammers, sand bags, vices, and channel locks. Got it back to a more correct shape not perfect but closer. And I'm happy with that.

I had tore my bumper down completely and had it blasted to bare metal.

Sadly that project sat in my bus all winter, on the pulled out bed in my bus.

Well this summer I got all the bits together and decided one way to move forward with big projects is to knock out the little ones. I metal prep'd and sealed my bare metal bumper bits in POR-15 (paint over rust) x2 and throw on some paint to cover the POR.

Bare metal, treated.

POR-15'd (metal sealed)

And painted

Now just to reassemble...and bolt on!
1969 Vw Westy

rpattee

Postby rpattee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Bumper turned out really nice. Is that a small paint booth with filters and exhaust fan?

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 am

Well finally a nice day for progress. Got my bumper bits all together, 5/16" x 1" carriage bolts, worked perfect.

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w44 ... C11F86.jpg
1969 Vw Westy

Return to “Your Project”