Thoughts on the project

Discussions about “Nugget the Sun Bug", the car that the club began to restore, and ended up selling to a nice guy.
Greg Wilkinson

Thoughts on the project

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:43 am

This is from an email I sent to Mike Brown and Paul Hendrickson:

I was looking more closely at the photos of Nugget and realized that there is quite a bit more rust then Mike may have noticed. Bad spots around the front fenders and apron, around the running boards (will need new ones), around the door frames, window frames and around the engine cover (may need to find another one of those, too). Plus, some little dents on the hood we’ll want taken care of.

All the rubber will need to be replaced, as it’s either old-and-cracked or has been painted over (yuk!) Of course, they sell gold fender beading so maybe we’ll use that around the fenders!

The headliner needs replacing, new carpet, probably some body work in the interior too. Seat frames power coated and new vinyl and possibly new padding. Trunk carpet, dash cover and maybe some other trunk related items.

Stereo system, custom wheels, new tires (?) and front-end alignment. Shocks?

Engine pulled, rebuilt (enlarge to a 1776?) and powder coat the trim.

I’m not expecting we’ll have to pull the body from the pan, but would anticipate removal of all glass, trim, fenders, etc. We could take the car to have the pan blasted and recoated. (or maybe they could do that at MAACO)

Put it all back together and we’re done. Tah-dah!
Greg Wilkinson
63 RHD Australian Bug "Clayton"
269-7285 wk
382-7032 cell

craigsandrx7

Postby craigsandrx7 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:52 am

:D

Sounds like the sales pitch I gave my wife on my current bug project!....easy as pie!

:D
Craig in Wasilla
craig12@mtaonline.net

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:15 am

From Charlie Bates:

The data plate on the Nugget states that it was MFG'd 6/74.
S/N 134 2783 742

Perhaps we'll contact Wolfsburg and get Nugget's birth certificate!
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

Jeff Carlisle
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Carlisle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:36 pm

It might be cool to buy an old Sun Bug ad from an old magazine and frame it to go with the car, there are lots of them for sale for pretty cheap on ebay.

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Yeah, I've seen those, too. Maybe we'll do both.
Mike plans to pick-up the car this weekend so we'll have it at his house for Tuesday's meeting...if the weather would cooperate!
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:06 pm

First off, thanks to Mike Brown for picking up and housing Nugget!

Everyone got to get their first "up close and personal" look at Nugget last night at Mike's house. The good news is, the car is basically complete, running, and doesn't look like it will need any MAJOR mechanical work. The bad news, is the rust. Not sure how deep it goes, but there are some holes in the heater channels, B pillars, and some pretty bad rust in the under carriage areas, and lot's of rust bubbling under the paint around the fenders etc.
SO... we'll be posting a parts-list here on the Forum, but if you've got Super Beetle parts, or even a Super that could be a doner for body parts, let us know.

Everyone is welcome and encouraged to check with Mike on a regular basis to see about dropping over and spending some "quality time" with the car. Even if it's just scraping all the undercoating off...there will be plenty of untrained "elbow grease" work that can go into this project. So, don't think you haven't got the skills...we will need and can use your help on this project.
And away we go...
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

MagicEddie

Postby MagicEddie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Well we have the car-

We cant make it just go away by ignoring it, we've done a few things, and as all old cars seem to do you fix one thing, and you find another thing wrong and this, seems to be the case, what are our options as a group I know we are kinda stuck where we are being that the car is "in storage" until we hear from Mike- but last meeting with concerns towards it we have to now find a place, to store for winter no? Mike did want his garage for winter use...

Just bringing this back to shore...

-MagicEddie88

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 am

This will be a topic of conversation at tomorrow night's meeting.
See you there!
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

thingman

Project

Postby thingman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 am

Anyone thought about soda blasting? Since it does not require taking out the glass and seals? Would be cheaper. Cosco has those car port tents still.

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Thought everyone would like to know that American Diabetes is still our beneficiary for the Nugget project.
They are very excited about running the raffle "whenever" Nugget is ready. They are providing us with a letter of authorization that we can use when shopping around for donations. And, a reminder, that whatever cash we spend on the project will be reimbursed following the raffle.
The car is being taken out to Abbey Auto in the Valley for welding and should be ready for another work party in March. We'll need volunteers to take parts home for restoration work.
Away we go!
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

Alaskan67dub

Postby Alaskan67dub » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:13 am

like I said, if my event on the 14th at the bunker goes well, & we gross what we expect - I'll donate some funds like I said while at the meeting.

This is the rough draft of the flyer, I'm bringing up GRYM from Seattle, the other promoter is bringing up Kilogram from San Francisco.

Right click on the flyer & open in new tab to expand the image.

Chase Ford: 632.6009
Fortitude Security.
Original Theory Productions.
Avery Landscaping & Snow Removal.

I-VDub A Place For VW Enthusiasts - Here Is The Link to My Profile = CLICK HERE

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:51 am

We would be able to get you a tax deduction from ADA.
Good luck with your dance party!
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

olspeed

parts resto work

Postby olspeed » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:10 am

Greg you mention that you need some parts restored on this project. While I don't get in to town to much,only about once a month. I would be willing help out a bit. I can't put the whole car in my toy box but I do have room for smaller items and know enough to fix about anything BUG. If you guys still need some help let me know.
ph# 495-0596
Olspeed
66 Ghia
76 Bug
it's not a car its a Volkswagon!

Greg Wilkinson

Postby Greg Wilkinson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks for the offer. Mike Brown is spearheading this project and will be doling out work for those interested.
Hopefully he can give you something to do!
Greg Wilkinson

269-7285 wk

382-7032 cell

Return to “Sun Bug Project”